Christ the King Parish can be traced back to February 10th, 1933 when Father Patrick Cunnane was asked by Bishop Thomas E. Molloy to explore the possibility of establishing a parish in South Jamaica. At that time Springfield Gardens was a rural area with a scarcity of homes. The travel to other neighboring churches was difficult and attending Mass was challenging. After consideration of various sires for the new church, the present location was chosen and work began on this basement church building that survives until this day. The first mass was celebrated at midnight on December 25th, 1934. It is said that portable stoves were used to heat the building that night.
On March 23th, 1934, Bishop Molloy assigned father Patrick J. Cunnane to be Pastor, and on April 14th, 1934 the parish church was named Christ the King.
On June 2nd, 1935 the church was dedicated with over three hundred people in attendance. In 1951, the parishioners decided that they wanted to have a school. The building of the school and convent was an enormous task for the young and growing Christ the King Parish. The completion of the school and convent demonstrated the determination and dedication that the parishioners had for this parish. They made the necessary sacrifices to make their dreams become a reality. Christ the King celebrated their Silver Jubilee Dinner and Dance in their new school auditorium. The Dominican Sisters of Amityville staffed and taught, at the school, educating and cultivating the hearts and mind of our children. Many of the children who were taught in the school, and their parents, still attend Christ the King Church. The parish was crushed when, after only seventeen years, they had to close the school in 1975, due to diminishing funds.
The school building has been used to serve the community through both the JSPOA Friendship Center which, having served the frail elderly, relocated in March 2008, and Birch Family Services, which cares for about two hundred seventy pre-school and special needs children. The convent, now called the Mugavero Center is a community residence for fourteen severely handicapped youngsters, managed by St. Christopher's Home. The parish still uses the school on Sundays for our own School of Religion, preparing children lo receive the Sacraments. We also use the auditorium to celebrate many parish events.
Over the pass seventy-five years, Christ the King Parish has come together to worship, grow and develop into a nurturing parish that expresses love, care and respect for one another. The parish has a variety of mini cries and societies which have become more and more involved with the current changes in the community. Every Sunday, and on special occasions, a joyful sound comes from our revitalized parish choir and music ministry. Groups gather regularly to share the Scriptures and pray together. Retreat opportunities and days of prayer are offered for all age groups throughout the year.
If you have and questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.